Den 27. des. 2006 kl. 23.26 skrev Tom C:

>> There is a limit on how much we can do when we cant even agree on the
>> necessity of the actions. We will have to deal with the rest when we
>> know more.   I think we should do a lot more right now, but a little
>> is better than nothing.
>>
>> I have chosen to live in a place where I usually do not need any
>> other transport than my feet.  It would be great if everybody could
>> do that but it would require re-planning most of our cities...
>>
>> DagT
>>

> With thinking like that we'd all still be huddled over in
> Mesopotamia. :-)
>
> Developing sustainable low or non-polluting energy sources enabling
> travel
> is preferable to not going anywhere, or making everyone live within
> people-power distance from their employment.
>
> Early in the 20th century electric automobiles were being
> developed.  Their
> production, and R&D into the technology mostly ground to a halt, no
> doubt
> for greater economic gain by using polluting fuels.  Even now the
> majority
> of efforts to produce non-polluting energy is either half-hearted or
> hampered by non-funding.
>
> If we can go to the moon and plan to go to Mars we surely have the
> smarts to
> find a way around our own planet without destroying it in the process.
> Whether mankind at large has the collective common sense to do so
> is another
> matter.

So, the difference between now and then is that we now not only
affect our local environment, but probably also the global
environment.  So, maybe our smarts right now is to reduce the use of
polluting fuels and to try to think of the alternatives.

I think countries like my own, who earn a lot from money from oil
production, should use that income to develop the alternatives, but I
guess nobody is listening .-)

DagT