----- Original Message -----
From: "Jostein Øksne" Subject: Re: Doomsday is coming upon us?

> If you live in a place that needs heating parts of the year, install a
> heat pump and reconsider the house insulation. Reduce heating at the
> times of day when nobody's home anyway.
> Next time you buy a car, go for the smaller engine.
> Figure out ways to use less hot water.

A friend of mine just finished a house that is heated by geothermal energy.
He is confident enough of the technology that he does not have a gas fired
furnace at all.
This is local to me, so his house will get tested to pretty cold
temperatures. He figures the geothermal install will pay for itself over
about 7 years in zero natural gas consumption.
It is possible to extract a lot of heat from waste water (shower) by running
the (copper) drainout line through a larger supply pipe feeding the water
tank.
Unfortunately, most building codes don't allow for fresh and waste water to
be in such close proximity. I wasn't allowed to put such a system into my
house when I was installing the supply and drains.

William Robb