This must be some kind of first for this millennium - an on-topic post
about Pentax equipment which is neither photographic nor endoscopic.

I am thinking about buying some birding binoculars. I am not a
bird-watcher, but I do enjoy looking at them when I go on jaunts at
the weekends, particularly around the Thames Estuary, and I'd like to
be able to look at them a bit more closely. My understanding of
birding binoculars is that they should be about 8x42, focus quickly to
less than 2 metres, preferably be reasonably waterproof and bumpproof,
and lightweight.

I already have an old pair of Pentax field glasses, but I think they
were designed for watching tanks attack Stalingrad, and they are not
suitable for my needs.

The spec for birding binoculars seems to make them quite expensive in
general, but Pentax look as though they produce something which gives
relatively good bang:buck
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-8X42-DCF-WP-Binoculars/dp/B000070GS8

Do any of you have these, and would like to comment? Any others I
should consider?

Thanks,
Bob