A few ways around that data loss:
- Use 16-bit gamma RGB.  There's still *some* data manipulation in terms
   of quantizing (rounding up/down), but 12-bit linear has less gradations
   in all areas than 16-bit gamma.

- Keep all images 16-bit linear and use color-management during any
   processing to gamma-correct for viewing.  Only convert to
   gamma-corrected images for "prints"... web, etc.  The master RGB image
   stays in 16-bits.

-Cory

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> Remember that in doing RAW conversion you are performing a gamma
> correction on a linear dataset. This means compressing (pushing
> closer together, setting the white point on...) the high values)
> while expanding (stretching apart, setting the black point on...) the
> low values to fit the range of what you've captured to the
> characteristic curve of human vision. You also set the gamma and
> inflection point of the curve (brightness and contrast).
>
> While both ends of the spectrum lose some data in the course of doing
> this, there is far more data to work with at the high end of the
> scale than at the low end of the scale if you've made a correct
> exposure for the linear gamma sensitivity curve of a digital sensor.
> Setting the black point too early can throw away an excess of data,
> for which there is no recovery post RAW conversion. For this reason
> it is suggested that you set white point, then gamma and inflection,
> and then very carefully black point. While the three are *mostly*
> independent of ordering, and "whatever works well" is indeed best, I
> find it better to work in this order and iterate through the settings
> a couple of times in small moves rather than make large adjustments
> all at once.
>
> You can always adjust the black point further in RGB space using
> curves or levels adjustments, I generally prefer to preserve a little
> excess data in the dark regions and make the final adjustments there.
>
> Godfrey
>
> On Jan 7, 2007, at 4:54 AM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>
>> I sometimes set the black point first as well. I'm not really
>> conscious
>> of a specific ordering of steps in regard to exposure, brightness and
>> shadows. I think I vary my sequence in respect to the specific
>> needs of
>> the shot I'm working with.
>> Paul
>> On Jan 7, 2007, at 7:03 AM, Jan van Wijk wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with Tim on this one.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I must say Paul's description is
>>> pretty close to what I usually do :-)
>>>
>>> I have developed my RAW workflow based on CS1 experience
>>> and Bruce Frasers "Real World Camera Raw ..." book.
>>>
>>> Working with CS2/Bridge now, and will consider LightRoom
>>> once it it released, or perhaps CS3 ...

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *