On Jan 9, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>       I don't thing Photoshop deals with RAW images anyway, does it?  A
> RAW image doesn't even make sense until it's been interpolated into
> RGB.
> Anyway, as usual I care little... just having a good ol' fashioned
> pedantic discussion.... ;-)

The problem, Cory, is that the question I was responding to, and
subsequent discussion, was a bona fide question by a new user on how
best to work with his K10D RAW image files. Not all of us are
interested in theoretical pedantry.

>       Seriously though... many image processing operations are not doing
> what they advertise if the data being operated on is log instead of
> linear.  It may still be a useful effect, but not "truth in
> advertising"
> anymore.

There is no "truth in advertising" when it comes to taking a digital
capture and transforming it to a quality rendering. Mathematical
algorithms functions do exactly what they are programmed to do, to
the limits of resolution of the representational medium. One works
with the tools available to produce a pleasing/accurate (take your
pick in whatever proportion you desire) result, regardless of what
"errors" (more precisely, "deviations from theory") might exist.

Pedantry does not produce photographs.