On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 09:54:33AM +1100, Digital Image Studio wrote:
> On 08/01/07, Kenneth Waller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I see the issue with cell phones is that many people let the phones rule
> > them. If it rings it must be answered.
> > Its a tool & as such the user should be in control & not vice versa.
>
> I've noticed that the callers expectations have changed, I know when I
> review my answer machine calls quite often people assume that I'm
> there and often encourage me to answer, sometime they even seem
> irritated that their call for immediate attention has been
> circumvented. And I must admit I'm far less inclined to answer any
> phone these days if the senders caller ID has been suppressed.

We only usually answer the main home phone number when we are explicitly
expecting a call; otherwise it goes to the answering machine.  I dislike
the assumption that I must be available, *now*, to handle a communication
that can be adequately dealt with other than in real time.  Anyone we are
prepared to talk to at any time gets the unlisted number, or a cell phone
number if we're likely to be away from the house.
I also have a cell phone (and a Vonage phone) provided by my company.
They get answered during my usual business hours, and at other times
by prior arrangement.  In fact those are normally used solely as the
forwarding point for my work phone number; that's a virtual circuit,
and has no physical phone associated with it.