On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 07:11:31PM +1100, Digital Image Studio wrote:
> On 08/01/07, John Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Mind you, that still doesn't get rid of the biggest source
> > of unwanted calls (especially in the late evening) - our
> > phone number is one simple digit transposition away from
> > the local Blockbuster Video/DVD rental store.
>
> Oh the Joy. A friend of mine once had a number that was commonly
> mis-dialled by listeners attempting to dial a local radio stations
> competition line. For some entertainment he put together a bogus
> winners message on his answer machine which was quite rude, a lot of
> people still left their details.

I've been tempted ...

The pattern of Blockbuster misdials is quite interesting.  A good
number of them presumably simply mis-dialed the number; after they
get our answering machine once that's it.  But a significant number
redial the same wrong number immediately after hanging up; my guess
is that this is people correctly dialing a mis-remembered number.
When they get our answering machine again they check the number
(or perhaps simply give up).  But there are a few persistent folks
who call a third time (and even, occasionally, a fourth).

It was sheer dumb luck that we chose the right line for our public
number (rather than our unlisted number); I wouldn't want to get
the Blockbuster calls on our unlisted number (which we answer).