I'm not sure for other brands but my retailer (which is Pentax
fan/collector and usually reliable) says Sigma defenitely does
reverse-engeneering.

He does also notice that whatever the mount (even for Canon etc.), he
has a way higher number of returns/warranty repairs with Sigma stuff.
He says the importer/Sigma does certify their stuff is compatible with
cameras on the market when the Sigma product is out.

If it doesn't work with a future product and your Sigma product is out
of warranty, then basicaly you're screwed and Sigma will not take care
of it.

--

Thibault Massart aka Thibouille