On Jan 9, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> Having bought the K10D I made my small photo bag obsolete. Simply put,
> if I were to put in there the K10D with Tamron 28-75 attached, it
> would mean virtually no space for anything else. So I shelled out some
> money and bought myself a LowePro Orion Trekker II - which is half
> photo bag half regular back back.

Good luck with it! Lowepro makes good bags.

Musings on "yet another bag" ...

There are times when I need to carry both camera and laptop, or
camera and portfolio book, or portfolio book and laptop, or all
three. I've been using the Timbuk2 Commuter XL bag for this and it
works well with two of the above, best with the computer/portfolio
shaped bits, but is an awkward thing to get the bulky size/shape of a
DSLR in and out of, particularly with bulkier lenses (and I mean
lenses like the FA20-35 here, as opposed to the DA21... not monstrous
things like an FA*200/2.8 ...  ;-). I love the bag for day to day
running about when I have to carry the laptop, but it's sure a pain
to shoot out of.

When in SF a week or so ago, I stopped into a camera shop and saw the
Kata Sensitivity V Ergo-Tech backpack and was impressed with it. It's
a reasonably slim, light backpack design, with a top handle and dual
strap traditional harness (I've given up on "sling" style bags). The
padded computer compartment is separately accessible from the main
compartment and would fit my laptop nicely. The main compartment has
enough depth back to front to fit a good sized camera and lens
assembly, and is also separated into upper and lower stories, with
separate zippered openings, so that you can get to individual bits
without having to unzip the whole thing. The two-story
compartmentalization can also be undone by unzipping the intermediate
piece, giving you one big space to load into if you have a largish
thing to carry in addition to smaller stuff.

I have a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW already and find it has been
excellent to schlep camera gear and computer through airports,
ferries, and trains, but it's huge, bulky, and terrible at carrying
stuff like a computer and a portfolio around, virtually useless to
work with for shooting due to the way the openings are organized.
(Basically, you have to lay it on the ground and unzip it completely
to get to anything other than a small bit stored at the top of the
main compartment.) This Kata bag is much trimmer, lighter, and would
do a better job of the day to day real street use IMO.

I might give one a try... but I'd like to see if the local shop has
one so I can try it on again with computer, camera and portfolio to
stuff in ...

There's always another bag.

Godfrey