On 1/09/07 8:45 PM, "P. J. Alling", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hand guns don't cause crime, if that were true once Great Britain banned
> all hand guns, (and made shotgun ownership much more difficult), violent
> crime would have been eliminated, in fact it increased, (violent crime
> rates in England are now higher than in the US).  I doubt that smuggling
> firearms is the cause of violent crime in Canada, it's a symptom of
> something else.

I do not wish to debate about gun control here ;-), but in Canada, taking
guns out is almost impossible.  Only guns you can bring out of home are bolt
action rifles and shotguns.  Even then, you have to follow certain rules.
You can't carry ANY handguns (i.e., concealable and portable) and some
rifles (automatics etc) without a carrying permit.  The carrying permit is
not just for casual carrying it to a range etc, but has a very specific
purpose and places stipulated on it.  If you have to bring it to a gunsmith,
you have to get a separate carrying permit on certain date and certain time.

So, if anybody carry handguns around with no specific purpose, that's a
crime.  Even with legal guns (rifle or handgun), Police's attitude is to
find any excuse to confiscate them.  When you buy a restricted guns
(handguns and automatic rifles), you have to first receive a police
inspection of storage facility.
It's impossible to enforce these universally, but it seems to be working
better than we think.
This is not to say Americans are bad. I know it has a lot more to do with
your history and culture.  And once guns are proliferated, it is almost
impossible to control it.
Criminals always know how to bypass laws.  It's just many more criminals
with gins in U.S. :-).

I'll shut up :-).

Ken