On 1/9/07, Christian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  From what I read, health care might be free up North, but "better" is
> debatable. Why do we always hear about so many people coming here for
> diagnosis?  As for guns...  yeah, ok, no guns in Canada?  With what do
> you guys shoot all the bears, moose, elk, caribou, deer, etc, etc.?  (I
> believe the stat is more guns in Canada per capita than in the US)

I was, of course, being (somewhat) tongue-in-cheek.  However:

Certainly our healthcare system is far from perfect, but it's
universal and much simpler to administrate than the American
multi-level system.  It's true that there are some inordinant waiting
times, and that due to those, some (mostly rich people) decide to pay
and seek treatment in the US.  There have also been some instances
where, for various reasons, usually involving funding, our public
insurer has paid for some Canadians to obtain those services in the
US.  Generally that happens as we ramp up funding so that those
services will be provided in a more timely fashion here.

A particular example is MRI's.  Several years ago we didn't have
proper funding for sufficient operators, so waiting time was so long
that it affected mortality rates.  In that case Canadians were sent
Down South while funding was put in place to train more MRI
technicians so that we could get our service up to acceptable levels.

I tend to think that many of the stories you hear about (while
obviously true) are reports from a right-wing rabidly pro-free-market
media, who knows how much funding they get from advertisers in the
health insurance industry.  You may see a couple of dozen stories a
year, you never hear about the ~millions~ of Canadians who get
top-notch service up here North of the Border.

As for guns, well, yeah, we do own a lot of them.  Not so many
handguns, though, as they're very tightly restricted.  Almost all
handguns used in crimes are illegal ones.

Yes, gun violence in cities (particularly Toronto) has escalated over
the past few years, but it's nowhere American levels.  We still have
far fewer than 100 murders a year here:  in 2005 out of 78 murders
there were 52 handgun deaths.  The murder rate went down in 2006 and
the amount of gun deaths dropped in Toronto by some 46%.

So much for reports that gun murders are out of control.  The media
was more than happy to scream to the world how violent Toronto and
Canada are becoming;  they seem oddly silent WRT 2006 stats.

cheers,
frank