From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Digital Image Studio
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:12 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Pentax DSLR Shake Reduction Question - Why turn it off on
whileon tripod?

On 14/01/07, J. C. O'Connell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Could somebody please explain the theory why
> the Pentax AS should be turned off while using
> a tripod??
>
> I dont understand how it could hurt,
> and intutively it seems like It might help
> if the tripod isnt perfectly stable due to
> wind, camera mechanism vibrations, etc.

It's speculative since the technical information is limited and no users
to date have shared any technical test results of the Pentax SR systems
response and sensitivity. The SR system is based around a set of
movement detectors (gyroscopic according to link below) and an
oscillating plate driven by linear motors which carries the sensor.

As you would expect the system will have a limited response bandwidth
which may be a due to a combination of the speed of the SR processor,
movement sensors and the moving systems mass vs the motor response. We
can assume that Pentax knows that the bandwidth doesn't extend into the
frequency range of the vibrations caused by mirror/shutter actions or
the potentially relatively fast vibrations set up by buffeting winds
etc, hence their advisory.

See:
http://www.pentaxslr.com/files/scms_docs//PENTAX_SR_Description_091506.p
df