On Jan 15, 2007, at 3:08 PM, John Francis wrote:

> Isn't riding with a world-class driver an amazing experience?
> Back in 2003 I was lucky enough to get a few laps round Brands Hatch
> (in the wet) in an Audi TT being driven by Roberto Moreno.  In the
> hairpin I felt the car begin to slide, and expected him to correct.
> Oh, no  - he was using the slide of the car to get round the turn
> faster, and was balancing throttle, brake and steering all the time.

My closest approach to being with a world-class drive on a rally
circuit was at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed somewhere around 1998
or so. I and my friends were trudging through the muddy paths along
the circuit, dodging bunches of youngsters with their MX bicycles,
when I heard the rasp of a small two stroke behind me and jumped out
of the way just in time to allow Stirling Moss to pass on his scooter
without running me down. Hit the mud with a splosh. He'd obviously
been sliding that puppy around through the mud for a bit ... he
stopped, turned about with a big smile, "Sorry chap! Everything all
right?" And buzzed off again a moment later with a bit rooster spray
of mud when I nodded assent. My friends were laughing until their
sides hurt.

Ah, childhood heros. ;-)

Godfrey