I suppose I better chime in here, since I actively do weddings.

First thing you need to determine is if they are really looking for a
cheap pro or just someone to take some nice shots for them.  If it is
the latter, then their expectations should be low and you would
probably be safe to move ahead with it.

As for shooting as a pro, there are several general areas to cover.
First is equipment.  Their is no real set type of equipment that is
necessary, BUT you must be very comfortable with it and not having any
learning curves.  Nothing new to you should be used, as you could be
surprised.  You should also have backup equipment in case any part of
your primary equipment fails.  You need at least two bodies and a
similar range of lenses for each.  If you are using lighting equipment
you need to flashguns and duplicate cords sets for each.  You should
consider light modifiers (diffusers, softeners, etc) to reduce any
hotspot problems.  You should have a bracket for the flash if you are
shooting flash.  This accomplishes two things - gets rid of redeye and
keeps the shadows down and away from the subjects.

Second is ability to deal with adverse conditions - You will likely be
faced with very poor lighting some or most of the time.  Most wedding
ceremonies are performed near noon, with harsh, bright lighting
abundant or performed in a very dim church.  If it is in a church you
need to check with the Pastor to find out what kind of restrictions
there are - some will not allow any flash, some will not allow you to
move around much, etc.  In those cases, a second or third shooter
placed strategically can get some of the money shots you may not be
able to do by yourself.  Anyway, you need to be prepared for less than
ideal conditions concerning lighting and locations.

Third is the ability to deal with people.  You will be faced with
trying to control and pose lots of people.  You need to feel
comfortable directing them and gathering them up.  You also should
show some creativity in your groupings and poses.  Even if you think
you are just going to shoot things are they are, without posing, you
will need to do some of this.  You will also have to be very fast as
the timing of things happening at the wedding are always very tight.
One place they can cut back on is the photographers allotted time.

I'd recommend you look at lots of wedding portfolios or complete books
to get some ideas so that you will not be totally in the dark.  You
should also meet with the bride and groom to determine what they are
really looking for and what their expectations are.

Anyway, lots to think about.  If you want to discuss some more, I'd be
happy to.

--
Bruce

JaKM> I have been asked whether I'd be interested in
JaKM> photographing the wedding of
JaKM> the brother of an acquaintance.

JaKM> Now, I'm a very keen amateur and have been really into photography for
about
JaKM> 15 months.  I'm really thrilled to have been asked (the request was based
on
JaKM> my work in my online gallery), but also more than a little hesitant to
JaKM> commit to doing it.  The wedding isn't until October, so there's lots of
JaKM> time to prepare.

JaKM> I've never been responsible for taking photos for any important event, I
JaKM> just take them for myself.  I know the technical side and use the K10D's
JaKM> various manual functions, etc and I know I'm a reasonably good
photographer.
JaKM> I'm not sure that I'm good enough to do a wedding though, it's more than a
JaKM> little scary.

JaKM> I know there are people with pro experience on here, so I'm looking for
JaKM> advice, tips, etc.

JaKM> I reckon if I do it, I'll want another flash (360 to go with my 540), a
fast
JaKM> normal range zoom, lots of SD cards, etc.  What else should I be thinking
JaKM> about?  I will have plenty of time to prepare and the venue is here in
JaKM> Canberra, so i can scout it out and try shooting my family there, etc.

JaKM> Should I back myself, trust my skills and jump in?  It could lead to a
JaKM> lucrative sideline and would certainly boost my
JaKM> experience and confidence if
JaKM> successful.  It would also be a real sense of
JaKM> accomplishment if I did a good
JaKM> job.  What pitfalls are there?

JaKM> I don't even know what I should charge.  I reckon I'd have to spend a bit
on
JaKM> gear to be ready, but I can't factor that into my fee.

JaKM> Any and all tips, tricks and advice would be greatly appreciated!

JaKM> Thanks

JaKM> James