On 24/1/07, Markus Maurer, discombobulated, unleashed:

>How about PJ's, do they engage assistants?

Certainly not paid. PJs are a lonely breed. I have, however, seen some
toting the odd acolyte, so it certainly is possible to find a guru. The
trouble is, those that you need to follow don't want a shadow, and those
that don't mind a shadow shouldn't have one.

Better to read about their experiences in books. The best PJs are
basically 'people-people' - they are better with human interaction than
they are technically with a camera. Oh yeah, determination that would
make me and you ashamed.

The best PJs ploughed a lonely path to the top of their profession -
they all do it rather individually. Totally unlike the (say) fashion
business where assistants do time with known photographers and end up
one day having their own assistants. PJ's are a bit like bounty hunters
- there's no definitive manual. They all do it their own way, but they
each get the results that matter.

HTH

--

Cheers,