On 1/25/07, Adam Maas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Scott Loveless wrote:
> > Howdy gang!
> >
> > Has anyone had an opportunity to compare manual focusing on an *istD
> > or K10D vs. a DL or K100D?  I've been playing around with M42 and M
> > lenses on the K100D and find that it's viewfinder is atrocious.  I'm
> > kinda curious as to how the others compare.
> >

> I've used MF lenses on the *istD, Nikon D50 and K100D(the three DSLR's
> I've owned). The D was the best, excellent viewfinder. The focus
> confirmation is useless though, simply wouldnt lock on in a reasonable
> timeframe.
>
> The D50 was the worst. Useless with a 50/1.4 or a fast telephoto like a
> 180/2.8. Focus confirmation worked fine, but also wasn't up to fast/long
> glass. Even with the DK-21M eyepiece magnifier (which works on the
> Pentax units too) it wasn't up to MF glass.
>
> The K100D was closer to the D than the D50. Not ideal, but quite usable,
> even if the viewfinder is a little small. Focus confirmation was the
> best of the three.
>
> If you think the K100D's finder is bad, try a D50, D70 or DRebel.

Adam, that's exactly what I was looking for.  I've honestly not been
very impressed with the focus confirmation.  Placing the camera on a
tripod and focusing on a stationary object often returns focus
confirmation a second time after moving the lens!  While I have never
tried a rebel, I have picked up a D50 just to have a peek (I put it
right back down).  The DK-21M sounds interesting.  I may have to check
that out.

While I can bear to part with my M series lenses (I'd rather not if I
don't have to), the screw mount glass is something I will keep.
Currently I'm leaning toward an *istD.  I may also consider similarly
priced alternates that can work with the M42 lenses, such as a Canon
10D.

Thanks again!

--
Scott Loveless