Not a silly question at all. Tear sheets are pages cut out of the
publications where your photos appeared. Usually they simply give you
several copies of the publication and you cut them out yourself. In the
case of expensive books you usually get just the pages before they are
bound into books. I am not sure the PDF's Paul mentioned are really an
equivalent as anyone can do a layout, the actual pages prove that the
work was published.

A working photographers portfolio usually consists of tear sheets and a
few carefully aimed photos that show he can do work for that client that
has even more impact that his previously published work.

-graywolf