I'm not entirely sure I understand what problem Paul is running into.
He's running Mac OS X (btw, I have had Apple's Software Update set up
to auto download since it was released and I have never yet received
an update that caused a printer problem of any kind ... if anything,
they've all helped!) ... I've not yet needed to "purge and reinstall"
anything on Mac OS X, and I've been running with it since before it
was available to the general public (I worked at Apple ...).