You're right, Godders. My problems are over. I gave in and read the
manual for the R2400. I had glanced at it previously but tossed it
after reading the first few chapters, which basically described
printing for the brain dead. Tonight I discovered they had a chapter
for printing with ICC profiles and, as luck would have it, the examples
were for PSCS 1. Turns out I must have flipped a switch in my "Print
With Preview" box. Where I had selected "Same as Source," I should have
selected the printer and its ICC profile. Now all is well with the
world. I'm not going to have to devote my weekend to uninstalling and
reinstalling software. Woo hoo!!
Paul

PS: I do have auto download set. Never caused a problem. But I'm behind
in allowing it to install the latest protection files. I'm still
10.3.9, so I no longer get system upgrades. But it functions as well as
10.4 does on my work computer. However, if I had installed PSCS2 and
10.4, Godders could have solved my problem immediately. There's