At 09:07 20.9.2001 -0700, Mark wrote:
>I'm ready to upgrade my tripod head to something that handles the Pentax 67
>effectively. Currently, I have the Bogen 3262QR and 3030. Both work fine
>when in the horizontal position. When I shoot verticals, I run into problems
>with the camera shifting. The little plates that go with the 3262 and 3030
>just don't hold tightly enough and the camera winds up rotating downwards
>(especially when I have the 135 Macro with extension tubes). Okay, I know
>the photo.net geeks all recommend the Arca Swiss head and Really Right Stuff
>plate combo. Yes, it's is an awesome way to go but that's out of my price
>range.
>I'm considering the Bogen 3055 (heavy duty ball head) or 3275 (geared head).
>Will these work okay when shooting verticals? Any other recomendations? I'm
>open to other brands as long as it fits onto the Bogen 3401 (I hope I don't
>have to upgrade that as well!!!!).

I finally received my new head this week. It's the Arca Swiss Monoball B1. It is
a fantastic ballhead and can be attached to any 5/8" tripod screw. I have it
installed on my Berlebach wooden tripod (http://www.berlebach.de) and am doing
to use it with my Pentaxes as well as my wooden Wista 4x5" field camera. It does
accept incredibly heavy loads while still being pretty lightweight and beautiful :-)
It has this incredible ball friction control which can be set and then the camera
can be freely moved but it holds spot on without slipping after you take your hands
off
(camera can be in any position)! It has an aspherical ball so the friction increases
"aspherically" when the camera is tilted.

Arca Swiss does not have a homepage (which anyone could connect to) but you'll
find pictures of the head in B&H home and other places in the net. Best place
for me to purchase it was http://www.robertwhite.co.uk, at least they seemed to be
the most cost effective and they have a fantastic service ! The only bad thing
about this head is the price... but it really seems to be the best ball head money
can buy.

Highly recommended!

Antti-Pekka

---
* Antti-Pekka Virjonen * Fiskarsinkatu 7 D       * GSM: +358 400 789753 *
* Computec Oy Turku    * FIN-20750 Turku Finland * Fax: +358 2 413 7777 *