From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
P. J. Alling
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:14 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Differences between the *istD, DS, DS2?

The D supports hyper program with two control wheels as opposed to one
wheel on the Ds/Ds2 which doesn't support that mode.  The D has a
smaller grip, (or perhaps I should say the Ds has a deeper grip), and a
better finished body with a PC socket.
Thought the Ds has doors covering the various connections, SD card, (the

D uses a CF card), and nicer battery compartment are nicer. .

In operation although the Ds/Ds2 write speed seems to be faster I've
been able to take 6 Raw files, (with noise reduction turned off), before

the D slows down as opposed to 5 with the DS, though once it slows down
the D is very slow and takes longer to recover due to it's slow data
bus.

The D has a battery grip with built in exposure controls, which would
probably be nice for use with linger lenses and when shooting
verticals.  But seems to be problematic for it's primary roll of
supplying extra power from what I've read here and other places.

Having used both I can say it's a trade off.  I know that if and when I
finally get a K10D I'll most likely be keeping my D as a backup, and
selling the DS

J. C. O'Connell wrote:
> So what you are saying is the DS2 is the best of
> all the pre-K series Pentax DSLR models in all respects?
> Or are there somethings it's lacking compared to an original D?
> thanks, jco

The more I know of men, the more I like my dog.
                        -- Anne Louise Germaine de Stael