>>>    P: EV comp front, P-shift rear
>>>    Tv: EV comp front, Shutter rear
>>>    Av: EV comp front, Aperture rear
>>>
>>> Since these are my most used auto exposure modes, I want them all to
>>> operate the same way. The idea is direct access to EV comp on the
>>> front, the priority control on the rear. I have not yet gotten
>>> comfortable with hyper program.
>>
>> Those settings make a lot of sense for someone coming from a *ist DS.
>>
>> It's a little harder if you are used to working with the *ist D.
>> While I like the idea of having Program Shift and Exposure
>> Compensation
>> directly available I'm not sure I'd like to give up Hyper Program
>> for that.
>
> Agreed. I also find that I shoot quite often in TVs mode, so I want
> to keep my wheels set for aperture and shutter speed.

The setup is a close match to what worked on the Canon 10D, Konica
Minolta A2, and Sony R1 ... all of them two-wheel control cameras
with program shift. The best part is EV Compensation without a
chorded button press over the DS interface ... I change EV comp more
often than aperture in Av mode, and shift only rarely in P mode,
normally I'd put that on my thumb but the DS habit of changing
aperture or shutter time with the thumb is still with me since I have
the DS bodies.

I'm in Av or P mode most of the time now. I only rarely use Tv mode,
for one reason or another ... mostly when working with a long lens
which is rare in itself.