I've done exactly what you are proposing to my -DS.  The actual
swapping of screens is very easy... just a tiny little hinged frame around
the screen with a snap-type clip on the top.  Open the door, remove old,
insert new, close door.

        As far as cutting down a screen, it's rather tedious.  I bought
one from a local camera repair shop for $5 out of an old Minolta.  I
wanted a diagonal split-prism like my P30T had, but apparently almost
nobody ever used them.  Seems like a no-brainer since both
vertical AND horizontal lines are useful then... but I digress...

        Anyway, I used a calipers to measure the stock -DS screen's
dimensions and the sacrificial screen's.  Split the two dimensions,
scratch a line onto the new one, and get to sanding/filing.  I was very
careful to only ever hold the screen by the edge.

Caveats:
- Easy to file the screen slightly off-center.  I did.  Oops.
- Different focus screen may cause metering problems due to different
transmission, but largely irrelevant due to...
- Stop-down metering with pre-A lenses blacks out the center prism with
apertures smaller than f/5.6-f/8.  That screws the spot metering
completely and messes the center-weighted appreciably.  Only way I've
found with the older lenses is to use the stop-down metering hack, but
then double-check the histogram after the shot.
- Well-known blackout with sufficiently slow lenses.

        Otherwise, it's great for lenses f/4 and faster... f/2.8 or faster
is REALLY nice.

-Cory

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, J. C. O'Connell wrote:

> Cool! I wont wait for what's available, I will
> take it into my own hands and make what I want
> work now. Only caveat is metering might get a little
> out of whack for a new unknown screen, but
> then again, might not.
> jco

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *