On Feb 1, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Digital Image Studio wrote:

>> DNG files are designed to be containers. After setting RAW parameters
>> with Camera Raw or Lightroom, the parameters are saved into the DNG
>> file for further use. The RAW data they contain isn't changed, only
>> the metadata which includes these parameter settings.
>
> I wasn't aware, I don't believe that I can do that with ACR 2.4, kind
> of glad too really.

It's one of the ways that DNG files can be less maintenance. You
don't need to carry around .xmp files to handle the metadata: the DNG
carries all the appropriate settings in one file. IPTC data is also
embedded into the DNG container from Bridge and Lightroom.

You can output an .xmp if you so desire at any time from a DNG, and
import added metadata from templates too.

Godfrey