>From: Cory Papenfuss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
>Subject: Re: NO FS this Friday?
>Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:52:09 -0500 (EST)
>
> > All of my comments made in this thread regarding
> > APS and FF lenses (legacy?) were optical quality related
> > to format (sensor) size,  not feature set
> > issues. That is another unrelated matter altogether.
> >
> > Bullshit. It's part and parcel of what the lens can do.
> >
> > William Robb
> >
>       So, without consideration of operator error, what exactly does a
>new lens' feature set do to improve the resultant picture quality?  The
>improved contrast of having autofocus?  The increase of sharpness due to
>not having an auto-aperture?  Bullshit.
>
>       If you're too damn lazy to use manual lenses, just say it.  It has
>nothing to do with picture quality, except in the context of operator
>error/incompetence/laziness.
>
>-Cory

The arguments seems to becoming one of crossed wires here.  Some people buy
new lenses because they want to get the most out of there body's feature
set.  Others are happy using older lenses that are fine performers, but not
up to date feature-wise.  Some people buy new lenses like they're at the
candy store, others do not.

The lens' pre-eminent function is to focus light at the focal plane. All the
other features a lens may have are superfluous to this.

One does not have to purchase new lenses for a Pentax DSLR, unless they want
to.  I have not purchased a DA lens and may never do so.  The only one that
tempts me is the DA 40/2.8. I already have a 40/2.8 pancake, but the DA
tempts me beause of it's size and AF capability.

I wouldn't call it " operator error/incompetence/laziness" Cory, but I get
your point. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using older legacy lenses
that work just fine and produce desirable results.

Tom C.