Godfrey, in either case tripod would be impossible to use. I had to rely
on Shake Reduction of my K10D.

Consider - I am a programmer. If I were to come in into my office (I sit
  in really very open space) with a camera bag *and* a tripod, what my
bosses would think. If and when I get a room of my own, that may change ;-).

As for the safari shot. You see, it is taken from the car and it is
strictly forbidden to leave the car in the open range part of the zoo.
Consider, I am driving among hippos and rhinos without any fence,
anything. I can ultimately reach out and touch them if they decide to
come close to the car.

However, I am starting to think about the monopod which could be helpful
here.

I really appreciate your comparison of the b/w shot with a Japanese
photographer. This is seriously important compliment for me.

Boris