----- Original Message -----
From: "Shel Belinkoff"
Subject: Re: Images or Photographs

> William Robb wrote:
>
> > For myself, if the picture is created by silver imaging, it
is a
> > photograph, if it is created by electronic capture, it is an
> > image. This is just how I keep things straight in my mind.
>
> And that's pretty much the way I see it, although now many
photographs
> (in the sense of your definition) are being called images.
Mick's
> comment that an image could be drawn or composed in some other
way
> than by sensing direct or reflected light is, I think, a
pretty
> accurate assessment.  And, if I were to use finger paints to
make a
> picture, would that be a digital image?

I note in my own definition, I used the word "image" to define a
photograph. Perhaps I don't have my ducks lined up in a row on
the issue.
Regarding finger paints, I would say yes. The real question is,
if you used your feet to do the painting, would the
characteristic curve have  a long toe?
HAR!!
William Robb