For some reason, the people who control the money for the City don't
think I necessarily have to have the absolute latest Photoshop on my
work computer so I can work on my personal photography.

hmpf.

So anyway, I'm still at PS7 here, and so I have to convert my PEF or DNG
shots using a 3rd party converter (IrfanView) to TIFFs before I can PS
them into the normal messes I post links to now and again. I have found,
during recent searching for material for an upcoming gallery, that the
EXIF info for these converted shots are not surviving the conversion.
Since the gallery needs the EXIF info, I'm kinda stuck.

So, what I need to know, if you don't mind, is if there is a converter
that I can use that will not strip this info out, or can I just use
IrfanView to re-convert the RAW images into JPGs straightaway, which
will preserve the info, but leave me working to get top quality from JPG
files, something I'd rather not do?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I have the Lightroom beta installed on this machine, but it's so slow
and resource-eating as to be unusable.

Thanks,

Doug