> It seems to me that shooting a fast lens stopped down a
> couple of stops
> would give a similar viewfinder
> brightness as using a zoom lens wide open, but you would have
> the benefit
> of a generally higher contrast image to work with.
> I can't believe people can't figure this out and choose to
> argue about it
> instead,
> since we've been manually focusing zoom lenses in the
> f/4-f/5.6 maximum
> aperture range for a
> couple of decades.
> Obviously, it's doable.

that was precisely my thinking when I bought the Carl Zeiss adapter
for my E-system cameras. The kit zoom is a 3.5-5.6 thing. My CZ lenses
range from 1.4 to 2.8 wide open, and are generally at their best
around 5.6. So the viewfinder is plenty bright enough when I use them,
and I'm not particularly worried that I lose stopped-down metering,
even when I focus manually. If I need to shoot with a smaller aperture
it hasn't been a problem so far.

Bob