> > Because then they're not celebrities anymore?
> >
> > Seriously, though, any celebrity that suffers because of achieving their
> > station is at least partially responsible for the outcome.
>
>Given the present "system", yes.  But how many of the poor, misguided
>souls actually understand that before they begin?  I feel desperately
>sorry for someone whose self-esteem is so low that it can only be
>bolstered sufficiently by having thousands of strangers aping them.

They have an idea what celebrity is and being in the limelight before they
get really famous. Why assume they are suffering from a LACK of self-esteem?
  I do feel a degree of pity for them, but I feel they're largely
responsible.  Every step of the way they had multiple choices to pick from,
either on the way to fame or in in how they handle it after achieving it.

Tom C.