Glenn wrote:

> Ed M wrote:
> > Mostly I don't care what term others use -- except for my irrational and
> > intense dislike of the half-word "pic".

> It's when they spell it "pict" that it really bugs me.
> (I can't help but think of early Celts who painted designs
>  on their body with woad before going into battle.)

        Probably originated w/ Macintosh users. The file type for
        an image much like a .bmp is named PICT ; ie. 8BIM/PICT
        would be a bitmapped image file created by PhotoShop (at
        least PShop v2.5 for the Mac  ;)

        Personally, I always try to refer to my photography results
        as "photographs", as opposed to the shortened "photos".

        (Just a semantic differentiation between mundane snapshots and
        the more contemplated aire of a deliberate approach to rendering
        a particular 3-D scene/time to a permanent 2 dimensional
        representation of the same capable of some finite time of
        continuing existence, I suppose.  Silly Me!  :^)

        Bill