Peter,

The ambient light should be contributing almost
nothing to the exposure under these circumstances. The
duration of the flash exposure is 1/1000-1/20,000 sec,
depending upon the exposure.  X synch fires the flash
at the midpoint of the shutter's exposure. So, the
shutter speed should make no difference at all.

Or is there something I am missing too?

Rick

http://www.photo.net/photos/RickW