> I do have questions, is there a theoretical limit to pixel
> count/image depth/capture rate using known physics?
> How does it compare to the theoretical limit for film, on a
> straight square inch to square inch scale, using as close to
> comparable parameters as possible?

Yes, there is a limit.

Pixel count, and film resolution, are both limited by the same
factor - the wavelength of the light being recorded.  You can't
have discrete sensors separated by distances smaller than the
wavelength of the light.  That puts a lower bound on the size
of a pixel, and similarly the size of film grain.

Image depth and capture rate (or density ratio and film speed) are
interrelated.  Again, the theoretical limit is physically based;
you can't have a sensor that measures in units smaller than a
single photon.

--
John Francis  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  (650) 429-4427
MyWay.com       444 Castro St.  Suite 101,    Mt. View,   CA  94041

Hello.  My name is Darth Vader.  I am your Father.  Prepare to die.