I guess I didnt make my point clear enough earlier, I never said
that that kind of economic model does not exist for some system
products,
it's just that I dont believe
that todays or future DSLRS, especially anything above very bottom line
entry level models,
are being sold on a "loss leader" economic model. It is not the same as
razors and blades because obviously lenses, unlike razor blades
last for decades, and a person buying a DSLR doesnt necessisarily
have to buy any lenses when he buys that DSLR so the camera mfgrs
cannot afford to or assume they will make up losses on future lens sales
like a razor company can on blades.

Secondly, I DID make it very clear in an earlier post, the only M42
(or at least the first M42) DSLR camera that I could see being viable
would be a universal screwmount version that supports the auto aperture
pin on the rear of all auto aperture M42 lenses ( this WAS a universal
M42 lens feature and is on the vast majority of all M42 lenses) and NO
open aperture metering ( this WAS NOT a universal
feature and was implemented many different proprietary ways on only a
small portion
of M42 lenses). Metering could be done exactly the same way GB is now
being done with K/M lenses on the current Pentax DSLR bodies, which
is stop down one shot metering. Continuous stop down AE would also be
possible, the same as it is on Pentax DSLRS when using a M42 adapter.
Both of these would be possible with ALL M42 lenses which is the key
thing to make a M42 DSLR become possible. I dont believe the
implementation
of open aperture metering and AE would ever happen unless the first
generation M42 DSLR without them was very sucessful.

jco