I bought one recently as I have been looking for a way to reduce the
size and weight of my complete camera kit. With the rebate it cost me
$166 complete (purchased through Amazon.com from 17th Street Photo,
lowest price that I found available).

About a year ago, I tested the A70-210 Macro, the FA80-320 and the
F100-300 against each other as I'd heard so many negative comments
about the F100-300 and my photos with it I thought were remarkably
good for an inexpensive lens that I bought used. In that trio, the
A70-210 performed the best, particularly wide open, and the F100-300
performed the worst, particularly wide open, but two-three stops down
from wide open (the way I normally use a long tele, along with
"mounted on a sturdy tripod") they were all pretty much the same. All
showed some degradation in performance at the limits of their focal
length range, normal for a zoom. The 70-210 seemed the most
consistent across the range but then it has a smaller range than
either of the other two.

Since I had the test exposures still on my system from the other
three, still have the DS body, and since the target was simply the
building across the street, I put the DA50-200 through the same test.
Wide open, it is on par with and maybe a little sharper than the
A70-210 test results at the edges of the FoV. Stopped down two stops,
it is the sharpest of the four. Consistency across the zoom range is
also quite good: it seems to fall off a little more at the 200mm mark
when wide open compared to the 70-210 but the difference is difficult
to see. Also, close up focusing: the 70-210 achieves a 1:4 image
magnification, the DA50-200 achieves a 1:3.6 image magnification.

I then put the lens on the K10D, grabbed the Pentax-A Rear Converter
2x-S, and went for a walk. I was curious about how well it would work
with the K10D's AS, both alone and with the teleconverter, given the
relatively modest light that day and the fact that it is an f/4-5.6
lens. I made this gallery of samples:

http://www.gdgphoto.com/walkinabout/

Picture 7 is a nearly 1:1 crop out of the original frame with the
lens at 200mm, wide open. Picture 8 and 9 are fitted with the 2x-S
teleconverter, focused manually, set to 135mm focal length, AS set to
300mm, and near-wide open at about 40 feet and 4 feet respectively.

It's not built like a tank the way the A70-210 was, but it is well
finished, feels good in the hand, and is half the size and a third
the weight. It supports all features of the DS and K10D bodies, and
has Quickshift focusing.

Overall, I would rate it pretty darn good, especially for the price.

I haven't tested it against the FA135/2.8 explicitly yet, but overall
I think it will suffice to the degree that I can sell that lens since
I so rarely use it. I'm sure the FA135/2.8 is more useful for hand-
held work due to its near-2 stop advantage, but it's simply longer
than I use most of the time. I don't see that I'll use the DA50-200
very often either, but it will be useful enough to have the option of
the longer focal length now and then.