On 4/3/07, Bob W, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Hi,
>
>This is interesting, and somewhat related to the stuff below:
>http://www.epuk.org/News/472/npower-injunction-on-epuk-member
>
>I happen to know the photographer concerned - he lives in your neck of
>the woods, Cotty, and we have a number of mutual friends. As well as
>the environmental photography mentioned in the article, he spent time
>in Rwanda and (I think) Macedonia. He has also worked for aid agencies
>in Ethiopia, which is where my connection with him comes from.
>Definitely one of the good guys.
>
>http://www.arbib.org/

I haven't met Adrian, although as a news organisation we have been
covering the Radley lakes story over the years. I've been up there
several times to film. The injunction applies to the media as well, and
the boss sent an email around noting that. Worryingly, the injunction
actually stipulates that one cannot photograph/film as opposed to
actually publish the results.

This stems from animal rights activists photographing individuals on
building sites in Oxford where the animal research lab is being built.
Activists subsequently targeted individuals and criminal activity took
place. This is the establishment's pre-emptive strike at the activists.
I strongly disagree with the principle, as it limits a free media. If
there are activists out there photographing people with the intention of
identifying them with the intent to commit a crime, then fine - round
them all up and arrest on charges of obstruction - which is what happens
anyways, it's all a cat and mouse game they play. Or target known
individuals with injunctions - as happens already (and frequently) but a
blanket ban? That's censorship and disgraceful.

Guess what the result is? We've stopped covering the story.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__