----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: One airline bans all carry-on luggage

> Hi, Amita,
>
> Be careful if you're doing that internationally.  While it may
or may
> not be directly applicable to this situation, I had a really
bad
> experience with an item that I bought off of eBay.  It was
shipped by
> UPS in the US to my home in Canada.  The shipper in the US
paid around
> $10 to ship it (the item was only worth about $20).  UPS
wanted to
> charge me a $40 "brokerage fee" for getting it across the
border.

This is just typical UPS. They are IMHO criminals in the way
they do cross border shipping. First, they get your belongings
into their possession, then they effectively hold it for ransom.
I have on one occassion had to pay UPS a brokerage fee on a
product which came across the border with no duties or taxes
other than the GST.
Ship via FED/EX. They are, at least, honest business men.
William Robb