Haven't really tried it.  I shoot pretty much the way you do - manual
mode.  If daylight just needing some fill then I just dial it in on
the AF360FGZ and shoot as if the flash were not there.  The High Speed
synch is a real lifesaver there.

If the flash is going to be the main illumination, I am usually using
the old AF400T and now just picking one of the auto modes - this means
just setting a shutter speed slow enough to hand hold and setting the
aperture to match the flash.

--
Bruce