On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 10:56:14PM +0100, Jens Bladt wrote:
> I get your point about the trailing curtain, John. But I normally don't want
> motion blur at all. So,  I set the shutter speed in order to freeze (rather
> slow) motion - anyway as long as I'm not using manual mode, the camera will
> not allow shutter speeds longer than perhaps 1/20 sec. - depending on the
> focal length of the lens I am using (in order to make the camera hand
> holdable). I don't believe these lower speeds get any lower due to SR?
>
> I want to make the most of the available light. Pictures made in total
> darkness with a flash are not my cup of tea. The flash only freezes motion
> in total darkness - in principle. So, the 1/10000 sec. issue is of no
> importance to me.
>
> So, I want the shutterpeed as slow as posible, without getting (to much)
> motion blur.
> I'd love to have a flsh progrm, that would mesure the available light and
> then ad one stop for the falsh - this wasy the available light would only
> "underexpose) the image by one stop. This mode is actually an "inverse fill
> flash program".
> regards
>
> Jens Bladt

That ought to be easy enough; set the camera to under-expose by one stop
in manual exposure mode as if no flash were there, and set the flash to
one stop of underexposure as well.  That will give you distant objects
underexposed by one stop, but foreground objects exposed correctly.

I'd also try leaving the camera in a programmed exposure mode, and
simply dialing in one stop of negative flash compensation.  That
should, in theory, come pretty close to what you want.