----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Klein"
Subject: Photo CDs

> I tried getting a roll of film developed straight to a CD for
the first time
> yesterday.  I forget the brand name, but it wasn't a Kodak
PhotoCD.  The
> files on the CD were .jpg images, approximately 1480x1035,
24-bit color.  I
> was a bit disappointed because that resolution doesn't allow
for much
> zooming and cropping before you run into blatant pixellation.
Is this the
> same for all photo CDs, or could I do better going with
another lab?

That is called a Picture CD. We make em at Wal-Mart for about 10
bucks. IMHO, they are a really cheap and cheerful product. They
are scanned from the print, not the negative, so the quality is
dependant on print quality (I would lay odds they made a set of
prints from your negatives).
Funny thing, we paid 10 grand (Canadian) for the equipment. I
figure I could have bought the stuff retail for about 2000.00.
William Robb