I have read that it is eight lines per millimetre for perceived sharpness,
which agrees pretty much with William Rob's 10 lines per millimetre. That
says something about enlarging 35 mm slides/negs for sharpness.

If a lens resolves 80 lpm, the theoretical limit for sharpness is 10
magnifications, or a 350 millimetre print (11 x 14). However, we are always
going to lose something in the transfer through the enlarger lens and
elsewhere in the process. Maybe you can get away with your favourite shot at
4 lpm and normal viewing distance. But it says someting about why medium
format has the edge.

Peter Jesser
Brisbane, Australia