-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Shel Belinkoff
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 11:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MZ-S; Built to last

Bad analogy ... Timing belts are used because they are cheaper and
lighter, but are a replaceable item.  They stretch and sometimes jump
the sprockets, and when they break can cause problems that can destroy
an engine.  Timing chains, which are even stronger, will sometimes
stretch and need replacement if used in a powerful engine, although
their replacement interval is usually longer than the belts. They,
too, have been known to jump a sprocket.  Older engines, with gear
driven camshafts, last indefinitely and are more precise.  You'll note
that racing engines generally use gear drives because they must have
absolute reliability and absolute timing accuracy.

Since we're talking about a "rubber" belt, my concern is that it will
stretch or break after a while, causing misaligned frames or failed
film transport.  Gears do not have this problem, but they are more
costly to manufacture and implement, which is most likely the real
reason Pentax uses a belt drive.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]