On Mar 28, 2007, at 7:40 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Well, I ordered the DA 50-200 from Adorama. It  was in stock when I
> ordered,
> but they tell me that now it's out, and I'll have  to wait.
> Probably that
> rebate thing.
>
> I'd also like a fast prime.  Something for stealth photography, as
> when I
> want to do "street photography,"  i.e. unaware people shots.
> Something shorter
> than a long zoom -- less  conspicuous. Guess one couldn't get much
> shorter than
> the DA 40.
>
> Opinions? Focus good? Any focus fall off? CA? Whatever? What would
> the  crop
> factor on this one be on digital? Come out to about 55mm?
>
> TIA,  Marnie aka Doe ;-)  Course if I do order it, it is bound to
> go out of
> stock  just when I do.

I have no experience shooting with the DA40 Limited. I handled it at
the store and found the focusing ring to be just a bit too thin for
my taste. I suspect it would be fine with a real lens hood fitted
(hate that little flat disk...) and presuming that you weren't going
to do much manual focusing with it. From all reports and examples
I've seen, it is quite sharp and produces very nice results. AF with
it is supposedly amongst the very fastest available.

The focal length of this and the 43 Limited proves to be a "long
normal" ... nice for people pictures and such in the middle range, or
tighter compositions at a still comfortable distance.

Can't believe all the hooey about it "not being fast enough for
general use" ... IMO, f/2.8 is just fine even for a lot of low light
shooting, particularly with good, clean ISO 800 available. I remember
doing available light street photography with ASA400 film and a Elmar
35mm f/3.5 on a Leica IIc body ... no slow shutter speeds or flash
available. Get real.

A faster lens is, of course, a nice thing in a pinch. The FA35/2 and
FA43/1.9 are both excellent.

BTW: I've often found gear available through Amazon.com at the 18th
Street Photo retailer that wasn't available elsewhere. They seem good
folks ... One time, when the only example of a lens they had in stock
had a crushed box, they called to apologize and ask if it was all
right. I decided not to take it, waited for the next one, and the
compensated by giving me an additional discount on another item I was
looking at.