On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 04:34:44PM +0200, Ralf R. Radermacher wrote:
> Markus Maurer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry for you Peter but wonder what kind of insurance would cover such
> > an accident.
>
> My camera insurance (Alte Leipziger Versicherung AG) covers theft, loss,
> and all kinds of accidental damage, practically every conceivable kind
> of mishap with the only exception of simply forgetting the camera on a
> train or elsewhere (literally "liegengelassen").
>
> Further conditions: no coverage if stolen from the car between 11 pm and
> 7 am, and the gear must not be visible from outside of the vehicle (and
> even this latter condition is waived for rented cars).

My camera coverage doesn't even have those kind of exclusions; If I leave
the camera in a taxi, or on a bench, it's still covered.

The cheapest way (at least in the US) to get that kind of coverage is as
an addendum to a household insurance policy.  Exactly how much it costs
will also depend on where the coverage starts.  In my case the first $500
of any single claim is my problem; after that everything is covered at full
replacement cost.

(Of course the one time I might have needed it - when I snapped my MZ-S
off the back of my big lens, leaving the lens mount behind - the repair
bill came to $480 :-)