On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:23:38PM -0600, William Robb wrote:

> [...]

It's hard to say, but I rather doubt it would over-write images; I think
the camera checks a card first, and ensures that the next image number
it will use is larger than any image numbers it finds on the card.

The only way I can think of for the camera to start re-using numbers is
if the battery died (so the internal frame count was lost), and the card
that was in the camera when a fresh battery was installed (or the first
card that was insrted after the battery change) was an older card that
still had images on it.  In that situation the camera would reset the
internal frame count to one more than the highest image number that it
found on the card; it would have no way of knowing that there was some
other card containing higher-numbered images.