Is this the ultimate Pentax taboo?  Isn't there a trend regarding
Pentax film transport reliability?

I have owned three ME Supers and one MX.  All but one of the ME Supers
has demonstrated uneven frame spacing at some point.  Fortunately, in
my case, I mananged to get them all repaired under warranty (I bought
them all secondhand from a shop.)

I've also heard grumbles from MZ-5 users about transport problems.  So
is this the ultimate PDML/Pentax taboo?

Frank.

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:43:58PM -0700, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> Hi Bob ...
>
> The LX frame spacing problem has been discussed here in the past,
> although it hasn't come up for quite some time.  The first two that I
> had, which were older models, had irregular spacing to the point where
> some frames were so close together that there was no discernible space
> between them.  Some people complained of overlapping frames.  My
> earliest LX, which I still have, went back to Pentax twice for the
> problem, and the situation is much better.  However, the spacing
> between frames is still not as accurate as the frame spacing of the
> Leicas, and it's clear that there are some slight differences between
> frames.
>
> It's quite possible that many people don't notice this if they shoot
> slides which they then have mounted, or if a lab processes their film
> and makes prints.  As one who processes and prints my own film, I'm
> very much aware of any variations, however subtle.  I'd suggest every
> LX user, especially those with older cameras, take a careful look at
> the frame spacing, and if it's off by any degree, have it repaired
> while pentax still has parts available.
>

> Bob Walkden wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised to hear this about your LX(es).
> > One of their bragging points is the accuracy
> > of the rewind/multiple exposure and therefore
> > the frame-spacing. It suggests that yours
> > has/have a problem. Mine were all bang-on
> > (as is my M3).
>

> --
> Shel Belinkoff
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -

Francis Tang, Postgraduate Research Student.
LFCS, Div. of Informatics, Uni. of Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK.
Tel: +44 131 6505185.  Fax: +44 131 6677209.  Office: 1603, JCMB, KB.
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] WWW: http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/fhlt/