On Apr 2, 2007, at 4:55 PM, Rick Womer wrote:
> Another from our recent trip to New York City.  This
> is a nocturnal shot through the window of a
> vitamin-supplement shop in the Upper West Side.  It
> amazes me how much merchandise they cram into a small
> space in that neighborhood.
>
>   http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5801682

> ist D, DA 16-45, ISO 400, RAW, 1/60 @ f/4.5, cropping
> and minor adjustments in ACR and PE4.
>
> If there are no comments I'll start sulking again...

Rick,

Can't have a man sulk...

The issue with this photo, to me, is that you describe the store as a
jumble and present a photo that is also pretty much a jumble.
Unfortunately, that doesn't do justice to the portrayal of the
store's crowded spaces as too much of my attention is drawn upwards
to the large open space of the ceiling and lights, which *isn't* a
jumble, while the rest tends to fall down into murky and poorly
separated shadows below, which I can't really see well enough to call
one thing or another other than a mess...

The balance of light and shadow here is 'as caught' which isn't the
best way to render the scene. Simply toning down the lights and
bringing up the values in the lower foreground enhances the sense of
space, the sense of a 'store crammed full of stuff', rather than just
presenting a jumble under a brightly lit ceiling. Contrast this edit
with your original:

   http://homepage.mac.com/godders/5801682-lg-g.jpg

By rebalancing the relationship of light from top to bottom, it
refocuses our eyes to notice the important things ... all the
merchandise and the area of 'business' in the store, and not give up
looking at the ceiling and the dark jumble of bits below it.