On Apr 4, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Russell Kerstetter wrote:

> I have definately been convinced of the need for a better tool.  I was
> trying to save for a second body (it is very inconvinient when Pentax
> keeps your only body for three weeks), but I might have to buy
> lightroom instead.  We will see.

I would suggest buying Lightroom and perhaps Photoshop Elements 4 or
similar. For the kind of editing work that this photo needs, you
really do need adjustment layers and masking ... no highlight and
shadow tools alone will not give you the clean segregation of tonal
editing capabilities that are required, at least for editing on this
photo in JPEG form. With RAW capture, yes: you can get a lot more out
of it.

iPhoto is ok for simple, global tonal editing but does not have the
kind of tools required for scenes like this. Lightroom has FAR more
capabilities but does not have the ability to select a section of the
photograph and work on that specifically.

This photo has huge differentials between the cloud tonalities and
the land/water tonalities that you will almost certainly need RAW
data at least to work with, or layers and masks.

Godfrey