----- Original Message -----
From: "David J Brooks"
Subject: Non speedy SD cards and K10D

>I looked back a bit in the archives, but didi not really see what i
> was looking for, so if its been done , i apologize.
>
> I just realized i onl;y have 1, 2gig card for the K10D, and i want to
> head south with atleast 2.
> I promised my self i would not shop in the Walmart that was recently
> built, here in town, but i caved and went in to look for cards.
> They had a 2gig Sanddisk, Optimum speed, what ever that is.
> My question is, and i don't have one to test, is how slow is a plain
> card. I have a hi speed card i bought with the camera, and the speed
> from shot to storage is great. Are these slower cards as bad as the
> write speed on the istD or should it be faster than that with the
> better buffer etc.
>
> I dont need lighting speed as i do for my equine work, just a decent
> speed.
>
> Any thoughts/comments

Using a blue Sandisk card, I can shoot 9 RAW in a row, and then one shot
every ~2 seconds.
Shooting jpeg, it's 26 shots, then a 2 second wait, then a couple of shots,
2 second wait, etc.

I think the UltraII cards are about twice as fast, and then the ExtremeIII
cards are twice again as fast.

Because of the size of the buffer, I'm wondering if I really need anything
faster than the cheap bottom feeder cards.

William Robb