If damage is character, well, I prefer less character in my equipment.

My solution to this problem is that I generally do without the
neckstrap entirely and use a handstrap only. But there are times
when  neckstrap might be useful, so I've adopted a solution similar
to others in that I have a couple of short, soft links on the strap
lugs to allow fitting a neckstrap with a quick release. It works well.

I don't know who made the neck strap I have: I've had it for about
two decades and used it with all manner of cameras, but it has very
nice, compact, strong quick releases that work well.

Godfrey